Got Art! 2014
In celebration of National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day, OnCare held its 4th annual Got Art! event at the Museum Of Science and Technology (MOST) with Ann Rooney, Deputy County Executive for Human Services providing opening remarks. After the remarks a young Got Art! artist took the lead in the ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open the Got Art! event for participants, their families and supporters.
Over 300 families, friends and supporters attended the Got Art! event in support of the original artwork created by 171 young artists in the Onondaga County area who have emotional or behavioral challenges. The work featured at this year’s showcase focused on the theme “Happiness is…” and consisted of drawings, painting, photography collages, poems, and clay exhibits.
In addition to the interactive exhibits at the MOST, youth in attendance enjoyed face painting by Art Alive, building and painting race cars with representatives from Home Depot, and tasty snacks catered by Echols Gourmet Treats.
Got Art! is an annual event that allows youth to be recognized for their talent, while decreasing stigma around mental health. By focusing on what “Happiness is…”, youth were given an opportunity to focus on the positive aspects of their lives; things in their life that give them strength and joy.
This year’s event was a great evening spent with families, friends and supporters of OnCare. We can’t wait for next year!
Please check out photos from the event!
OnCare’s “Got-Art” exhibit in the Gallery at Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital August 2014-Comments:
- Seeing the World through someone else’s eyes. Beautiful work is here & I hope this will continue to be a place where creativity is born, develops & flourishes! – E.S.W. ☺ 8/10/14.
- Awesome displays & exhibits of children’s feelings and inspirations. Thank You for Sharing them. – Plunkett/Thayer Family
- Cherishing every waking moment with the one’s you love, then reminiscing about those special moments together. – The winter’s Family.
- My Children and Grand Children, Jessica & Erika, Michelle & Bethany; My Amazing Husband coming to surprise us with the kids!! I Love you Jason ☺ 8/16/14.
- Is when you find your inner Peace! m@ 8/17/14
- It made me happy being here! Job Well Done!!
- Lots of Great Artwork! Very Talented bunch of Kids.
- Very Creative Talents.
- Amazing artwork and talented kids! Very good artist here of all ages.
- Awesome Job!
- Such a Powerful exhibit. We need to do more to help our Children in their challenges. Thank You for reminding me how important it is to care for others with ALL of Their health Problems.
- Great Work! It is such a great way (modality) for all ages to express how they are coping.
- It’s Fun in the Hospital- Thomas Benjamin
- When Thomas goes home! – Mom
- Yah! For when Thomas goes Home!!!
- I love the Snake. – Colin
- Great Work! Happiness is Art ☺ K.B. Get Well Soon!
- Beautiful Place. – J.J
- Great Place for Kids and Adults. Thanks
- It’s a wonderful time to live your dreams and do what you want to. – My’Asia
- Happiness is living your life to the fullest. – Ashlee
- Life! and Love! and Laughter! and Health!- xoxoxo
- Artwork is Cool! Such an Awesome Job!! ☺
- [cgm-upcoming-events num_events=5 tag_id=3]